Why I Loved Working at Burgermaster (as a former vegan)
I say former vegan because I resonate with the "plant-based" title more these days because it focuses on the abundance of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds where the vegan diet focuses on the foods you aren't supposed to eat. I have found that my life is best when I don't make any food off limits, I prefer eating plant-based, sometimes I stray, but I always come back to plant based! I also eat raw honey occasionally which definitely rules me out as a vegan.
After living on $250 child support for almost 2 years (and a little supplemental income from my book, Rawspiration) I decided to take a break from the stressful life of trying to make a living wage off a brand new business. I have been in the food service industry for most of my working career but I didn't see myself going back and serving people the unhealthy food I believed was the main cause for the health problems many of us are suffering from. I thought about getting other jobs that would resonate more with me but the pay wouldn't be as good and most of my income would go to paying for childcare.
After thinking for weeks about this life changing decision, I found this great restaurant about 15 minutes away that served organic food and seemed right up my alley. I would get to make the cash tips and serve more healthful food; win/win right?! I applied and talked to the owner who seemed really interested with my previous server experience. While waiting for them to reply to my resume, I looked up their yelp reviews to get a feel for what I would be getting myself into. I read one review that shattered my image of them, a customer complained about the owner getting belligerently drunk at the bar. I have worked for managers like that and I would never choose that for myself again. I was pretty bummed but I knew there is a reason for everything.
That same day, I drove by Burgermaster and saw they were hiring. I had been there a few times in the past and felt familiar with the place, always got good service and it was even closer to my house. I figured the exercise would be awesome, I would get to be outside because it was a dine in your car place and I would probably make some tips. After careful consideration, I decided to apply and I got hired on the spot! He showed me the tip reports and it turns out these carhops were making more than I would have guessed.
The day before I applied, I stuck my feet in the grass and did a money affirmation with my mala beads: "My income is constantly increasing, my cashflow is never ending and I have way more than I need." Boy, did that affirmation come true quickly! I felt like this job was meant to be.
Around this time I started learning about how powerful our thoughts were and how they play a hand in sickness along with the food we eat, our lifestyles and I am sure many other things. It never made sense to me how people could eat essentially the same food and get different diseases or no diseases at all. Our thoughts are so powerful and everyone thinks differently, so this made sense to me. Coming to this realization made it not as big of a deal to start working at a burger place, although this burger place has the freshest and highest quality foods I have seen (see reason #3!) so that was something I could get behind.
I have now been a Burgermaster employee for 3 months and here are all my favorite things about working at this restaurant:
1. Exercise: I walk anywhere from 4-7 miles in a shift and my legs love it! At first it was a big adjustment but now my body is used to it. My legs have toned up quickly and my booty is loving it too! Getting paid to exercise is a dream come true!
2. Socialization: After spending 2 years at home with my kiddo, this is what I was missing! I love talking, smiling and laughing with adults. I get to converse with hundreds of people daily, build relationships and connect with the local community. It greatly increases my quality of life. I wish I would have gotten a part time job sooner but I was afraid to leave Axel. Turns out he is perfectly fine without me for part of the day :P
3. Fresh & Fast Food: When I started working at Burgermaster I was impressed to see they make a lot of their own food! There is actually fresh produce in the walk in fridge which is rare in restaurants these days. We make fresh salads every day consisting of romaine, carrots, tomatoes and our homemade croutons made from the ends of the sourdough bread. The tartar is made in house in large batches. We have gluten free buns and lettuce wrap options. We also make our own coleslaw, banana compote for milkshakes, cinnamon sauce for the apple pie and chocolate chip cookies from scratch. The burger meat is local, hormone & antibiotic free and never frozen. All the other meat is high quality and sliced in house. If you are going to have a burger or sandwich, this is the place to do it.
4. Manager & Co-workers: This is the best ran restaurant I have ever worked for. My manger is awesome. I can tell he truly cares about this business and his staff. He clocks more hours than the rest of us and will jump in if we need help. I have seen him sweeping, taking phone orders and running trays when we get busy. I love all my co-workers and they have become like a second family to me. There is very little drama in this place and you can tell we all love working there. I feel grateful for the connections I have made at Burgermaster.
5. Money: The money is the icing on the cake. If I didn't love working here, I would leave, regardless of how great the tips are. And they are great, I am making more here than any other restaurant.
Bottom line: Burgermaster is a family owned business that treats their employees great and serves the freshest fast food around. I feel blessed and grateful to work for this amazing company.
Thanks for reading this blog post! If you would like to read more about the mind body connection I talk about in this post check out the book You are the Placebo or the documentary E-motion. I would love to hear from you in the comment section below!
Love & Light
Rawspiration, the eBook
Rawspiration is an ebook about my journey from a pink haired party girl to a crunchy mama and everything I learned along the way.
I have poured my heart and soul into this book with the intention to change as many lives as possible. The purpose is not to sell you a quick fix or make a profit. The purpose is to better your life, to show you there is a different way of living, that you can find peace in this chaotic world.
In this book I have included:
60 of my favorite plant-based recipes that are all free of gluten, grain, dairy, eggs, wheat and refined sugar.
A list of all the ingredients and kitchen tools I use in my recipes complete with pictures and where to buy them. (all pictures are clickable and will take you to where to buy!)
A list of my favorite packaged foods that are RawMama Approved
This is an interactive ebook. There are hundreds of links to outside sources of articles I have found helpful. The table of contents is clickable and each page has a "back to table of contents" button for easy navigating. (works on computer only)
All the tips and tricks that would have made my journey a little less challenging.
I share my personal story of transformation, about my eating disorder, suicide attempts and my home birth story.
Here is my favorite review of this book by my friend Crystal Love:"So, I'm sitting here reading Anne Meinke's new book, thinking I was going to have a ton of new, delicious raw recipes to try, but this book is SO MUCH MORE! An extraordinary young lady's story of heartache, transformation, healing & journey into motherhood. I am blown away & admit I've had to grab some tissues a couple of times! Not only is the book RAW, honest, real & full of RAWsome recipes, she's included everything you need to easily move to a more plant-based, all natural lifestyle. I just had to give a shout out, I've never read a book quite like this, very well done, thorough & did I mention RAW!"
Affirmation Journal (e-version)
The idea for this affirmation journal came to me when I started building myself back up after a mental breakdown in early 2017. I took a composition notebook and wrote a positive affirmation on each page. Every day I would spend about 10-20 minutes, pick a few affirmations and write them over and over again. This method really helped me change my mental patterns to create a healthier and happier me.
In this journal, I provide my favorite affirmations with lines for you to write them over and over. There are 4 different categories: Love & Relationships, Career & Financial Success, Optimum Health & Happiness and Peace, Balance & Moving Forward. There is a section where I teach you how to make your own affirmations (DIY Affirmations) and I also teach you two other affirmation techniques that personally help me with pages to utilize them as well.
I made this e-version all black and white so you could easily print at home. There are 8 mandalas throughout the book that were intentionally left black and white so you can color them in!
I hope this journal helps you as much as it helped me!
3 Day Meal Plan (High Raw)
Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? Are you bored of eating the same food every day? Are you looking for new, delicious and easy recipes? Are you ready to experience more energy AND spend less time in the kitchen?
THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU!
My 3-day meal plan will set you up to succeed with a new and exciting recipe for every meal! Spend a few hours on prep day to make the 3 days a breeze! Eating mostly raw means very few dishes and pans to scrub, making clean up super quick and easy!
I put a lot of thought and energy into this meal plan! I focused on using the same ingredients and recipes to make different meals, making the grocery list as short as possible. I made sure to get greens and one avocado into the meals each day.
This 3-day meal plan is a spin-off of my larger eBook, Rawspiration. I recommend buying them together. I have so much information in Rawspiration that is not in this mini-meal plan.
What This eBook Includes:
Healthy Halloween eBook
Need some healthy alternatives for your kiddo for Halloween? Look no further, RawMama has got your back!! In this mini-eBook, she shares her favorite healthy Halloween treats!
All recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free and guilt free!